William Emerson Barrett
William Emerson Barrett (December 29, 1858 – February 12, 1906) was an American journalist and politician.
Barrett was born in Melrose, Massachusetts on December 29, 1858. He attended public schools, and graduated from Dartmouth College in 1880. He was assistant editor of the , then joining the staff of The Boston Daily Advertiser. He was Washington correspondent of the newspaper 1882-1886. He was recalled to Boston to become editor in chief. In 1888 Barrett was promoted to chief proprietor and manager of The Boston Daily Advertiser and The Boston Evening Record.
Barrett was a member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives from 1887–1892 and served as speaker the last five years. He was elected as a Republican to the Fifty-fourth and Fifty-fifth Congresses (March 4, 1895 – March 3, 1899). He declined to be a candidate for renomination in 1898, and returned to Boston and resumed active management of his newspaper interests. Barrett served as president of the Union Trust Co. of Boston.
- 110th Massachusetts General Court (1889)
- 111th Massachusetts General Court (1890)
- 114th Massachusetts General Court (1893)
- Gifford, Stephen Nye (1889), A Manual for the Use of the General Court, Boston, Massachusetts: Massachusetts General Court, p. 451.
- “Death List of A Day.; William Emerson Barrett”, The New York Times, p. 7., February 13, 1906
- United States Congress. “William Emerson Barrett (id: B000180)”. Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Gifford, Stephen Nye.: A Manual for the Use of the General Court (1889) p. 451.
- Hill, Edwin Charles.: The Historical Register A Record of People Places And Events in American History (1921) pp. 12-14.
- The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography: Being the History of the United States as Illustrated in the Lives of the Founders, Builders, and Defenders of the Republic, and of the Men and Women who are Doing the Work and Moulding the Thought of the Present Time.; J. T. White company (1910) p. 172.
- The New York Times (February 13, 1906) Death List of A Day.; William Emerson Barrett (1906), P. 7.
- Massachusetts State House
- Massachusetts Senate
- Massachusetts General Court
- Massachusetts Government
- List of Speakers of the Massachusetts House of Representatives
|Massachusetts House of Representatives|
Charles J. Noyes
| Speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives
1899 — 1903
George von Lengerke Meyer
|U.S. House of Representatives|
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Massachusetts’s 7th congressional district
March 4, 1895 – March 3, 1899
Ernest W. Roberts