Battles of Cabin Creek

Two American Civil War military engagements were fought at the Cabin Creek Battlefield in the Cherokee Nation within Indian Territory.[a] The location was where the Texas Road[b] crossed Cabin Creek, near the present-day town of Big Cabin, Oklahoma. Both the First and Second Battles of Cabin Creek were launched by the Confederate Army to disrupt Union Army supply trains.

The first was a raid by a Confederate Army detachment on a Union Army supply train bound for Fort Gibson in July 1863. It failed to stop the Union detachment, which enabled the Union to succeed in winning the Battle of Honey Springs later that month. The second engagement, in September, 1864, again a Confederate raid on a Union supply train, resulted in the Confederates capturing over a million dollars worth of mules, wagons and supplies. However, this was too late to have a strategic impact on the outcome of the war. Confederate General Stand Watie led the attackers during both raids.

First Battle of Cabin Creek

Map of Cabin Creek I Battlefield core and study areas by the American Battlefield Protection Program.

The First Battle of Cabin Creek took place on July 1 through July 2, 1863, in Mayes County, Oklahoma during the American Civil War. The Confederate forces under Colonel Stand Watie attempted to ambush a Union supply convoy led by Colonel James Monroe Williams. Williams was alerted to the attack and, despite the waters of the creek being swelled by rain, made a successful attack upon the entrenched Confederate position and forced them to flee. The battle was the first in which African American troops fought side-by-side with their white comrades.


Colonel James M. Williams had charge of the escort of a Union supply train from Fort Scott, Kansas to Fort Gibson, Oklahoma (which was then in Indian Territory). His force marched along the Texas Road and consisted of detachments of the 2nd Colorado Infantry Regiment, 3rd Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, 6th Regiment Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, 9th Regiment Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, 3rd Regiment, Indian Home Guard, 1st Kansas Colored Infantry and the 2nd Kansas Artillery.[1][2]

Confederate Colonel Stand Watie had intended to ambush Williams' convoy and had 1,600 to 1,800 men lying in wait at the Cabin Creek crossing. Watie had counted on 1,500 additional men, led by Brigadier General William L. Cabell to strengthen his force prior to the attack but Cabell's troops were delayed by high waters on the Grand River.[3]


Williams arrived at the crossing on 1 July and learned of the intentions of Watie's force from captured Confederate soldiers.[1][2] Watie's battle line extended around one mile either side of the crossing in trenches dug into the brush lining the creek.[1][2] Owing to the unusually high water level in the creek, which reached above shoulder height, Williams chose to delay his attack on the Confederates until the following day and corralled his wagons defensively on a nearby prairie.[1][2][4]

Williams ordered a half-hour artillery bombardment before launching an assault with the Third Indian Home Guard. They failed to make it across the now waist-deep creek, pushed back by heavy Confederate fire, and so the Ninth Kansas Cavalry were ordered to charge under the covering fire of the 1st Kansas Colored Infantry.[2][5] With the cavalry having gained a bridgehead across the creek, Williams led the men of his own regiment, the 1st Kansas Colored Infantry, in a headlong charge across the stream and into the brush.[2] This forced the Confederates back and Williams pursued them for a quarter of a mile as they attempted to rally in a clearing.[2] Williams then led his convoy to successfully resupply Fort Gibson.[1][3] Confederate casualties amounted to 65 men killed with the Union Army suffering between 3 and 23 dead with 30 wounded.[2][3]


The action made possible the continuation of a Union force in the Indian territory, allowing the later victories at Honey Springs and Fort Smith.[3] Soon after the battle the Union established defensive outposts along the Texas Road, including one at the Cabin Creek crossing.[1] The battle has the distinction of being the first in which African American soldiers (the 1st Kansas Colored Infantry) fought alongside white troops.[1] A monument to the 1st Kansas Colored Infantry was erected on the battlefield on 7 July 2007.[6]

Second Battle of Cabin Creek

The Second Battle of Cabin Creek was part of a plan conceived by Confederate Brigadier General Stand Watie (who had been promoted from colonel after the First Battle of Cabin Creek). The plan was to have a Confederate force attack central Kansas from Indian Territory, raiding Union Army facilities and encouraging Indian tribes in Western Kansas to join in an attack on the eastern part of the state. Watie presented the plan to his superior, General S. B. Maxey on February 5, 1864. Maxey approved the plan on the condition that the attack would start by October 1, to coincide with an attack on Missouri already planned by General Sterling Price.[7]


Brigadier General Richard Montgomery Gano and Watie met at Camp Pike in the Choctaw Nation on 13 September 1864, to make plans for the coming expedition. Gano, commanding several Texas Confederate units, had agreed to join Watie as co-leader of the campaign. Watie, however, knew that most of the Texans hated all the Indians, including their allies, and resented his promotion in the Confederate Army. According to one account, "...Colonel Charles DeMorse of the 29th Texas Cavalry Regiment refused to serve under him."[8] Watie, therefore, deferred to Gano as commander of the expedition. Both Gano and Maxey commended Waite for this act of solidarity. Moreover, Gano had more seniority as a Confederate general than did Watie. Watie would continue to command the Indian Brigade, composed of about 800 men. Gano's brigade comprised Texas cavalry and artillery units containing about 1,200 men.[7]

The raid had targeted a wagon train that left Fort Scott on 12 September. It carried supplies and provisions intended for Native Americans who had fled their homes and camped near Fort Gibson. It was led by Major Henry Hopkins. The train was escorted by 80 soldiers of the Second Kansas Cavalry, 50 men from the 6th Kansas Cavalry and 130 men of the Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry. A group of 100 pro-Union Cherokees joined the train at Baxter Springs, Kansas, but half were left at the Neosho River junction to guard the rear. The escort was to be increased by 170 Union Cherokees of the Second Indian Regiment, based at Cabin Creek, and 140 Cherokees of the Third Indian Regiment en route from Fort Gibson[7]

Major Hopkins received a message to move the train to Cabin Creek as fast as possible and await further orders. The message also said that Major John A. Foreman, six companies of men and two howitzers were en route as a relief force. The train arrived at Cabin Creek station during the afternoon of September 18.[7]

Flat Rock attack

On 16 September, as they were waiting for the supply train, the Confederates happened to encounter a detachment of black Union soldiers conducting hay-making operations at Flat Rock, near the confluence of Flat Rock Creek and the Grand River, about 5 miles (8.0 km) northeast of present-day Wagoner, Oklahoma and 15 miles (24 km) northwest of Fort Gibson. Captain E. A. Barker leading a small group of the 2nd Kansas Cavalry and a detachment from the 1st Kansas Colored Infantry, who were guarding the operation, were soon surrounded and attacked from all sides. In desperation, Barker ordered his men with horses to attempt a breakout. Only 15 of the 65 men who attempted to break out reached the fort. The Union troops lost all their hay-making equipment, several hundred tons of hay and over 100 casualties (including prisoners). There were unconfirmed reports that many of the black troops were killed by the Texans.[7][e] These killings led to one historian's calling the action one of Watie's three most infamous actions of the war.[9]

Confederate attack

The Second Battle of Cabin Creek began at 1:00 A.M. on September 19. The Confederates advanced with the Texans covering the left flank and the Indian Brigade on the right flank. After the Union troops began to fire, the Confederate artillery answered. The barrage caused the mules to panic and run. Many dragged their wagons with them. Some were so terrified that they fell off the bluff and into Cabin Creek. The teamsters managed cut many of the mules from their traces. The men jumped on the mules and rode across the ford to safer ground.[7][9]

Sunrise revealed the Union positions. Gano moved part of his artillery to his right flank, so that the wagon train would be caught in crossfire. The two Cherokee regiments moved across the creek to capture the wagons that had escaped in the darkness. The Texans, led by Gano himself, attacked the Union flank, driving it back until the defenders were scattered in the wooded bottoms along the creek. By 9:00 A.M., the Union forces had been routed. Major Hopkins escaped to Fort Gibson, hoping to meet the Major Foreman's relief force and recapture the train. Failing to find the relief force, he continued to Fort Gibson bearing the news of the disaster.[7]


The Confederate force, led by Watie, and Brigadier General Richard Montgomery Gano, captured a Federal wagon train about $1 million worth of wagons, mules, commissary supplies, and other needed items.[10] Specifically, the booty included 740 mules and 130 wagons.[11] Although Watie and his troops were commended for their success by Confederate President Jefferson Davis and the Confederate Congress, this battle had no significant impact on the outcome of the Civil War in Indian Territory.

Preserving the battlefield

A young Cherokee named Joseph Martin acquired land on Cabin Creek in 1840. This would become his headquarters for a ranch named Pensacola that he developed over the next twenty years containing over 100,000 acres (400 km2). By 1860, he had also developed a station on his property along the Texas Road, where travelers to Texas could buy provisions and have their wagons repaired.[12] A part of this land would become the Cabin Creek battleground.

There was little interest in preserving the site of these two battles until 1958. That was when the Vinita Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) decided to buy a 10 acres (4.0 ha) plot of ground that now considered the core of the battlefield. The group approached the landowner about the proposed purchase and agreed on a price of $300. The UDC chapter spent the next three years raising funds and finalized the purchase in 1961. They donated the land to the Oklahoma Historical Society later in the same year.[6]

The same UDC chapter donated a monument to the Confederate victory of 1864 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the event. The OHS created a circle drive within the park and added some small monuments that commemorated the battle positions of the two forces. Interest in the park waned for a number of years and maintenance was neglected. Many monuments were vandalized.[6]

In 1992, the OHS and the Grand Lake Chamber of Commerce jointly sponsored a reenactment of the battles. It was considered a success, drawing about 15,000 visitors, with reenactors coming from many parts of the United States. Encouraged by the public response, the OHS proposed to repeat the event every three years. A non-profit organization named "The Friends of Cabin Creek Battlefield, Inc." was formed to clean up the park, repair the damaged monuments, and add trash cans and park benches. A day-use only policy was put into effect, with the park gates unlocked in the morning and locked in the evenings 365 days a year.[6]

The Civil War Trust (a division of the American Battlefield Trust) bought an additional 88 acres (36 ha) in 2011, so that the park now covers most of the original battlefield of the First Battle of Cabin Creek.[12][13] A local newspaper reported that additional improvements were needed, such as interpretive trails and exhibits detailing the conflicts within the Native American tribes that exacerbated the effects of the war. The paper titled the article as "The Third Battle of Cabin Creek."[14]

See also


  1. ^ the site lies in present day Craig and Mayes Counties in northeastern Oklahoma.
  2. ^ The Texas Road was also known as the Osage Trace, Osage Trail, Immigrant Road and the Military Road.'
  3. ^ includes only Union military escorts
  4. ^ Gano reported number wounded in his command, Waite did not report the number wounded
  5. ^ Hancock wrote that this encounter was sometimes known as "The Flat Rock Battle."


  1. ^ a b c d e f g Steven L. Warren. "Cabin Creek, Battles of". Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History & Culture. Oklahoma Historical Society. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
  2. ^ a b c d e f g h Steele, Phillip W.; Cottrell, Steve (2009). Civil War in the Ozarks. Pelican. p. 91. ISBN 9781455602292.
  3. ^ a b c d "Cabin Creek". CWSAC battle summaries. Heritage Preservation Services. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
  4. ^ Parrker, Kathy (3 October 2007). "The first Battle of Cabin Creek". The Times of Pryor Creek. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
  5. ^ Spencer, John (2006). The American Civil War in Indian Territory. Osprey. p. 7. ISBN 9781846030000.
  6. ^ a b c d Warren, Stephen L. (2012). The Second Battle of Cabin Creek: Brilliant Victory. The History Press. ISBN 9781609498320.
  7. ^ a b c d e f g ""The Second Battle of Cabin Creek." Hancock, Marvin J, Chronicles of Oklahoma. Retrieved September 5, 2014" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on May 12, 2013. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
  8. ^ "Gano's Big Haul." Warriors of the Lone Star. Barnhart, Don. January 31, 2012. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
  9. ^ a b Franks, Kenny A. Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture. "Watie's Rifles." Archived November 2, 2013, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved October 5, 2013.
  10. ^ Knight, Wilfred (1988). Red Fox: Stand Watie's Civil War Years, pp. 245–253. Arthur H. Clark Co., Glendale. ISBN 0-87062-179-3.
  11. ^ "Cabin Creek Battlefield." Civil War Trust. Civil War Battlefields. Retrieved September 3, 2014.
  12. ^ a b "Cabin Creek, more than a battlefield." Grand Lake News. Barber, Janet. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
  13. ^ [1] American Battlefield Trust "Saved Land" webpage. Accessed May 24, 2018.
  14. ^ "The Third Battle of Cabin Creek." Grand Lake Times.] Retrieved September 7, 2014.

External links

Coordinates: 36°29′20″N 95°07′18″W / 36.488990°N 95.121603°W / 36.488990; -95.121603