The CRC Press, LLC is a publishing group based in the United States that specializes in producing technical books. Many of their books relate to engineering, science and mathematics. Their scope also includes books on business, forensics and information technology. CRC Press is now a division of Taylor & Francis, itself a subsidiary of Informa.
The CRC Press was founded as the Chemical Rubber Company (CRC) in 1903 by brothers Arthur, Leo and Emanuel Friedman in Cleveland, Ohio, based on an earlier enterprise by Arthur, who had begun selling rubber laboratory aprons in 1900. The company gradually expanded to include sales of laboratory equipment to chemists. In 1913 the CRC offered a short (116-page) manual called the Rubber Handbook as an incentive for any purchase of a dozen aprons. Since then the Rubber Handbook has evolved into the CRC’s flagship book, the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.
In 1964, Chemical Rubber decided to focus on its publishing ventures, and in 1973 the company changed its name to CRC Press, Inc, and exited the manufacturing business, spinning off that line as the Lab Apparatus Company.
In 1986 CRC Press was bought by the Times Mirror Company. Times Mirror began exploring the possibility of a sale of CRC Press in 1996, and in December announced the sale of CRC to Information Ventures. In 2003, CRC became part of Taylor & Francis, which in 2004 became part of the UK publisher Informa.
- “Auerbach Publications”. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- “Encyclopedia of Cleveland History: CRC PRESS, INC”. Case Western Reserve University. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- “CRC Press-Taylor & Francis Group – Engineering Education Suppliers Guide”. engineeringeducationsuppliersguide.com. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- CRC Press Pioneers in Publishing Archived 2009-01-25 at the Wayback Machine, accessed 5 April 2009.
- ROSENSTIEL, THOMAS B.; CROOK, DAVID (1986-11-29). “Times Mirror to Buy Broadcasting Magazine and CRC”. Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- Rose, Frederick (13 March 1996). “Times Mirror Plans To Explore Options For Book Divisions”. The Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Company, Inc. Retrieved 11 September 2015 – via Proquest.
- Millot, Jim (16 December 1996). “Times Mirror reorganization completed, Willes says”. Publishers Weekly. PWxyz, LLC. Retrieved 11 November 2015 – via Proquest.
- “Taylor & Francis to acquire CRC Press”. Publishers Weekly. PWxyz, LLC. 250 (10). 10 March 2003. Retrieved 11 November 2015 – via Proquest.