The Allegheny Plateau //, in the United States, is a large dissected plateau area in western and central New York, northern and western Pennsylvania, northern and western West Virginia, and eastern Ohio. It is divided into the unglaciated Allegheny Plateau and the glaciated Allegheny Plateau.
The plateau terminates in the east at the Allegheny Mountains, which are the highest ridges just west of the Allegheny Front. The Front extends from central Pennsylvania through Maryland and into eastern West Virginia.
Elevations vary greatly. In the glaciated Allegheny Plateau, relief may only reach one hundred feet or less. In the unglaciated Allegheny Plateau in southeastern Ohio and westernmost West Virginia, relief is typically in the range of two hundred to four hundred feet. Absolute highest elevations in this area are often in the range of 900 to 1,500 feet (270 to 460 m). By the Allegheny Front, however, elevations may reach well over 4,000 feet (1,200 m), with relief of up to 2,000 feet (610 m).
Geology and physiography
- Allegheny Front, the transition escarpment from the Allegheny Plateau to the Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians
- Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians
- “Physiographic divisions of the conterminous U. S.” U.S. Geological Survey. Archived from the original on 5 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-06.
- Faill, Rodger T. (June 1997). “A Geologic History of the North-Central Appalachians, Part 1: Orogenesis from the Mesoproterozoic through the Taconic Orogeny”. American Journal of Science. 297 (6): 551–619. doi:10.2475/ajs.297.6.551.
- Faill, Rodger T. (September 1997). “A Geologic History of the North-Central Appalachians, Part 2: The Appalachian Basin from the Silurian through the Carboniferous”. American Journal of Science. 297 (7): 729–761. doi:10.2475/ajs.297.7.729.
- Faill, Rodger T. (February 1998). “A Geologic History of the North-Central Appalachians, Part 3: The Alleghany Orogeny”. American Journal of Science. 298 (2): 131–179. doi:10.2475/ajs.298.2.131.
- Photographs of the Allegheny Plateau and the Allegheny River watershed region
- Media related to Allegheny Plateau at Wikimedia Commons