Godahl sits on the boundary line for Brown and Watonwan counties, occupying two counties. The community is located between Sleepy Eye and St. James on Minnesota State Highway 4. The community is located at the junction of Minnesota State Highway 4 with County Roads 6 and 10.
Godahl was settled by Norwegian immigrants and named in honor of their home, called Gode Dahl (“Good Valley”). The town had a post office from 1894 until 1907, and a station of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railway. The community failed to develop, and for many years the only remnant of its commercial aspirations was the Godahl Store, a cooperative built in 1894 and now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The store closed on December 31, 2016.
- “US Board on Geographic Names”. United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Upham, Warren (2001). Minnesota Place Names, A Geographical Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition. Saint Paul, Minnesota: Minnesota Historical Society. p. 624. ISBN 0-87351-396-7.
- “Minnesota National Register Properties Database”. Minnesota Historical Society. 2009. Retrieved 2017-12-29.
- “After 122 years, historic Minnesota general store goes out of business”. Twin Cities Pioneer Press. Retrieved January 13, 2017.