There are over 6,000 properties and districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places in New York State. Some are listed within each one of the 62 counties in New York State. Of these, 264 are further designated as National Historic Landmarks.
Numbers of properties and districts
The numbers of properties and districts in New York State or in any of its 62 counties are not reported by the National Register. Following are approximate tallies of current listings from lists of the specific properties and districts.
- List of National Historic Landmarks in New York
- List of bridges on the National Register of Historic Places in New York
- New York State Register of Historic Places
- New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
- National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior, "National Register of Historic Places: Weekly List Actions", retrieved November 17, 2023.
- The approximate counts are the best available. There are frequent additions to the listings, and occasional delistings, and the counts here may not be perfectly updated. Also, not counted are most boundary increase listings, which increase the area covered by a historic district and which carry a separate National Register reference number. An exception is Grand Central Terminal Park Avenue Viaduct which is treated here as a separate property, although it was added to the National Register as a boundary increase to the Grand Central Terminal.
- The Albany Felt Company Complex is shared between the city of Albany and the neighboring town of Menands, and is thus on both lists.
- The Hudson River Heritage Historic District is located in both the Rhinebeck list and the Dutchess County: Other list.
- The New York State Barge Canal passes through both county and city.
- Riverside Park and Drive is located in both the above 59th to 110th Streets list and the above 110th Street list.
- Within Suffolk County, Long Island National Cemetery is included for both the towns of Babylon and Huntington.
- Within Westchester County:
- The following sites are listed in multiple counties: Adirondack Forest Preserve (Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, St. Lawrence and Warren), AuSable Chasm Bridge (Clinton, Essex), Bear Mountain Bridge and Toll House (Rockland and Westchester), Brooklyn Bridge (Kings and New York), Buskirk Covered Bridge (Rensselaer and Washington), Champlain Canal (Saratoga and Washington), Cypress Avenue West Historic District (Kings and Queens), Delaware and Hudson Canal (Orange, Sullivan and Ulster), Double-Span Metal Pratt Truss Bridge (Clinton and Essex), Earlville Historic District (Chenango and Madison), Beth Olam Cemetery and Evergreens Cemetery (Kings and Queens), First Presbyterian Church of Deposit (Broome and Delaware), Glens Falls Feeder Canal (Warren and Washington), Helen Hill Historic District (Essex and Franklin), Hudson River Heritage Historic District (Columbia and Dutchess), Hudson/Athens Lighthouse (Columbia and Greene), Keeseville Historic District (Clinton and Essex), Manhattan Bridge (Kings and New York), Mechanicville Hydroelectric Plant (Rensselaer and Saratoga), Melius-Bentley House (Columbia and Dutchess), New York Central Railroad Adirondack Division Historic District (Essex, Franklin, Hamilton, Herkimer, Oneida and St. Lawrence), New York State Barge Canal (Albany, Rensselaer, Washington, Saratoga, Schenectady, Montgomery, Herkimer, Oneida, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Cayuga, Seneca, Wayne, Monroe, Orleans, Niagara and Erie), Palisades Interstate Park (Orange and Rockland), Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge (Ulster and the city of Poughkeepsie) Queensboro Bridge (New York and Queens), Seneca River Crossings Canals Historic District (Cayuga and Seneca), Sixteen Mile District (Columbia and Dutchess), Stone Arch Bridge (Clinton and Essex), Swing Bridge (Clinton and Essex), Taconic State Parkway (Columbia, Dutchess, Putnam and Westchester), U.S. Military Academy (Orange and Putnam), USS Spitfire (Clinton and Essex), Washington Bridge (Bronx and New York)
National Register of Historic Places travel itineraries: