Listings range from prehistoric sites such as Grave Creek Mound, to Cool Spring Farm in the state's eastern panhandle, one of the state's first homesteads, to relatively newer, yet still historical, residences and commercial districts.
Barbour - Berkeley - Boone - Braxton - Brooke - Cabell - Calhoun - Clay - Doddridge - Fayette - Gilmer - Grant - Greenbrier - Hampshire - Hancock - Hardy - Harrison - Jackson - Jefferson - Kanawha - Lewis - Lincoln - Logan - Marion - Marshall - Mason - McDowell - Mercer - Mineral - Mingo - Monongalia - Monroe - Morgan - Nicholas - Ohio - Pendleton - Pleasants - Pocahontas - Preston - Putnam - Raleigh - Randolph - Ritchie - Roane - Summers - Taylor - Tucker - Tyler - Upshur - Wayne - Webster - Wetzel - Wirt - Wood - Wyoming
Current listings by county
The following are approximate tallies of current listings by county. These counts are based on entries in the National Register Information Database as of April 24, 2008 and new weekly listings posted since then on the National Register of Historic Places web site. There are frequent additions to the listings and occasional delistings and the counts here are approximate and not official. New entries are added to the official Register on a weekly basis. Also, the counts in this table exclude boundary increase and decrease listings which only modify the area covered by an existing property or district, although carrying a separate National Register reference number.
|County||# of Sites||Region|
|10||Fayette||28||New River/Greenbrier Valley|
|13||Greenbrier||44||New River/Greenbrier Valley|
|27||McDowell||17||New River/Greenbrier Valley|
|28||Mercer||18||New River/Greenbrier Valley|
|32||Monroe||24||New River/Greenbrier Valley|
|41||Raleigh||9||New River/Greenbrier Valley|
|45||Summers||7||New River/Greenbrier Valley|
|55||Wyoming||4||New River/Greenbrier Valley|
- List of National Historic Landmarks in West Virginia
- List of bridges on the National Register of Historic Places in West Virginia
- National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior, "National Register of Historic Places: Weekly List Actions", retrieved May 7, 2021.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. April 24, 2008.
- "National Register of Historic Places: Weekly List Actions". National Park Service. Archived from the original on June 20, 2000. Retrieved January 2, 2009.
- Weekly List Actions, National Register of Historic Places website
- Grouping of counties into regions, as defined by West Virginia Department of Arts, Culture and History, following West Virginia Department of Tourism regions. This partition is similar to groupings used by other organizations and tourism guidebooks.
- The following sites are listed in multiple counties: Alderson Bridge (Greenbrier and Monroe), Alderson Historic District (Greenbrier and Monroe), Fairfax Stone Site (Grant, Preston and Tucker).
Media related to National Register of Historic Places in West Virginia at Wikimedia Commons