2011 Republican National Committee chairmanship election
The 2011 Republican National Committee (RNC) chairmanship election was held on January 14, 2011, to determine the next chairman of the RNC, to serve a two-year term ending in 2013 and will lead the party through the 2012 general elections. After seven rounds of balloting, Reince Priebus was elected chairman over incumbent chair Michael Steele, Saul Anuzis, Ann Wagner and Maria Cino.
Priebus won re-election with near unanimity in the party’s 2013 meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina. He was likewise re-elected to a third term in 2015, setting him up to become the longest serving head of the party ever.
- Saul Anuzis, National Chairman for the Save American Jobs Project, former Michigan Republican Party Chairman
- Maria Cino, Political Director of George Bush’s 2000 Campaign
- Reince Priebus, Chairman of the Republican Party of Wisconsin
- Michael Steele, incumbent Committee Chairman, former Lieutenant Governor of Maryland
- Ann Wagner, former United States Ambassador to Luxembourg, former Missouri Republican Party Chairman
- Former candidates who withdrew before voting began
- Gentry Collins, Former Political Director of the RNC, withdrew on January 2, 2010
- Gary Emineth, Chairman of the North Dakota Republican Party 
- December 13, 2010 – Incumbent Chair Steele announces bid for re-election.
- January 3, 2011 – Candidate debate held by Americans for Tax Reform at the National Press Club
- January 14, 2011 – Election held by party voting members in Washington, D.C.
A debate among the candidates hosted by Americans for Tax Reform took place on January 3, 2011 at the National Press Club. Anuzis, Cino, Priebus, Steele, and Wagner participated in the debate.
A poll by the National Journal, released on January 13, 2011, showed Priebus in the lead with 40 committed votes out of 168, Steele 17, Wagner 15, Anuzis 14, and Cino 12.
With 168 voting members of the RNC, 85 votes were required to win the chairmanship.
|Candidate||Round 1||Round 2||Round 3||Round 4||Round 5||Round 6||Round 7|
- Candidate won majority of votes in the round
- Candidate secured a plurality of votes in the round
- Candidate withdrew
- Shear, Michael D. (December 19, 2010). “Voting Begins for RNC Chairman – NYTimes.com”. Thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved January 16, 2011.
- Miller, Zeke J (December 8, 2014). “RNC Chairman Reince Priebus Set for Re-Election Bid”. Time. Retrieved June 25, 2016.
Priebus was re-elected to his second term with near unanimity in 2013 at the party’s meeting in Charlotte
- Preston, Mark (January 16, 2015). “Priebus overwhelmingly elected to third term as RNC chairman”. CNN. Retrieved June 25, 2016.
Priebus was elected Friday in a resounding vote to serve a third term as chairman of the Republican National Committee, putting him on course to become the longest serving head of the national party in history.
- “It’s On: Saul Anuzis Will Challenge Michael Steele for RNC Chairmanship”. Weekly Standard. November 12, 2010. Retrieved January 16, 2011.
- “Maria Cino Officially Enters Race For RNC Chair – The Note”. Blogs.abcnews.com. December 11, 2010. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved January 16, 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Martin, Jonathan (December 6, 2010). “Reince Priebus runs for RNC chairman”. Poltiico. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- Choe, Jaywon (July 7, 2010). “What’s Next for Michael Steele and the RNC?”. Cbsnews.com. Retrieved January 16, 2011.
- Doug McKelway (April 7, 2010). “Sources Say Steele Will Seek Second Term As RNC Chair”. Politics.blogs.foxnews.com. Archived from the original on December 14, 2010. Retrieved January 16, 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Blake, Aaron (November 29, 2010). “Wagner launches bid for RNC chair”. voices.washingtonpost.com. Washington Post. Retrieved November 29, 2010.
- Smith, Ben (January 2, 2011). “Exit Collins – Ben Smith”. Politico.Com. Retrieved January 16, 2011.
- “Emineth not seeking national GOP chairmanship, state position gets candidates”. Bismarcktribune.com. November 17, 2010. Retrieved January 16, 2011.
- Brenton, Hannah. “Race for RNC chairman remains a ‘toss-up’ as Steele defends tenure – The Hill’s Ballot Box”. Thehill.com. Retrieved January 16, 2011.
- Shear, Michael D. (January 3, 2011). “Steele to Debate Rivals for R.N.C. Post – NYTimes.com”. Thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved January 16, 2011.